Supporting Ex-Offenders to Live Independently, protecting the community and providing cost-effective mental health services
Where do ex-offenders with mental health problems get support?
People with mental health problems who have committed serious offences often end up in low, medium, or high security hospitals. They need somewhere to go in the community when they come out. However, some are also stuck in these community placements with little prospect of moving on.
The problem is ex-offenders often don’t get the support they need to reintegrate with the community successfully. Over 50% of people released from UK prisons reoffend in the first year.
Placement in a medium secure hospital can cost up to £185,000 per person per year. And the burden on the taxpayer increases each time they are readmitted.
But how can we find a solution to this problem without putting the client and the community at risk?
Tilt is a residential facility with proven recovery pathways that provide support for ex-offenders working towards independent living in the community.
The quality of care delivered has been excellent, the economic argument is a powerful one comparing the cost of placement in secure hospitals with the scheme provided at the TILT project.
John Enser, Former Director of Forensic Services, Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust
Effective community mental health services for ex-offenders
- A modern, spacious residence.
- Tilt feels like home.
- 24-hour support for all clients from experienced, highly trained staff.
- On-call service provided by the most senior managers.
- We measure physical as well as mental health outcomes.
What makes us different?
- We create a support plan for each client that meets their needs.
- The Trial Leave Period enables us to assess the suitability of the client for the project.
- Clients learn real-life skills that give them a better chance of living independently.
- Staged integration protects both the client and the community.
- We have a close working relationship with clinical partners and commissioners.
- Not based on care home model. Tilt uses supported living which results in safe and successful integration with the community.
- Low reoffending rate of 1.58% per year for the last 5 years.
- Reduced cost to the taxpayer. Up to £110,000 less per person per year.
- Over 64% of clients move on to independent, or less supported accommodation.
- Positive impact on the lives of ex-offenders.
- Increased safety for the community.
How you can work with us
As well as the normal tendering process, you can commission our services in the following ways:
- Use our contact form
- Pick up the phone to speak to us on 020 8298 9677
- Email us to discuss spot contracting OR delivery of a bespoke service that meets your need